11/06/2009

Money in the Single Life




Today I took a trip to the Game Stop to do some early Christmas shopping; just trying to get a jump on the situation. I remember a time when the family unit was promoted none stop by our society. Now it seems like family and baby making is only celebrity entertainment. The economy needs seem to be marketing in the direction where there is money to be made. This is a smart move. But, the marketing being done seems to hurt the family unit. Maybe back in the day, encouraging families was the only way to make the big bucks. Is the idea of a family old news in this generation?



With all the things people acquire, there doesn't seem to be a need to link up with a significant other. You can literally get lost in this world of entertainment and mental stimulation. Let's see...


-you've got high definition tvs to watch/play/interact with cable tv, video games and music. With these video games you can literally dance, play sports and sing karaoke in the safety of your home


-party promotion seems to be on the rise too; some people have made it a life style to party every week (even 2...3 times a week) money money money


-of course, if you are going to go out you gotta be in style...name brand, expensive make up, designer handbags, jimmy cho shoes..you name it


-if you want to punch it up a notch, get that botox, lip pumped, buttocks lifted, with a little snippet taken from the middle section


-they even make money on the homebodies as well, with these new digital books to make it more convenient for traveling back and forth to work with the free hand to hold on to the train handrail


-the mother of all money makers is this here thang we are connected with...yep, the internet. The money is in communication...how else will you get the drop on the new game system coming out, party promoters to help you put on great shows, blogging sites to show off how other folk (celebrities)spend and make it look inspiring. The cash making possibilities are endless...Blogging, marketing, promoting, sending subliminal messages, hoaxes..you name it


-in order to make all of this come together seamlessly, we gotta have HIGH tech cellphones to touch base with friends and family because we don't want to come off like we are out of touch or something...lol



The people that seem to matter to this society are celebrities and single people. The celebrities children's futures are set. Why put money into public school systems, after school programs, preventive medicines and such? Where is the money making in that? Society only markets for folk to tie the knot and show it off in the biggest wedding possible ending in under 3 years...according to statistics...then the lawyer lint pocket change snatchers DIVORCE proceedings begins...umm..


*pondering* Why even bother starting a family again???



6 people feelin' some type of way:

Thee_Kween said...

Chiiiiiile...for real. I do feel like the family structure isn't popular. The single life IS the life nowadays, and yes the do market to it and the rich like that is all there is.

I feel like a dinosaur in this world, still hopeful for that family life. I feel like Nicole Kidman in that pod "peaple" movie. LOL

Primaldata said...

I would love to blame the folks doing the marketing but the thing is, if there wasn't a market for it they would have stopped it long ago. I don't think it is so much the marketers don't like the family as it is we don't.

I mean come on how many seasons of flavor of love should there have been? Or real chance of love? If this is supposed to be a show about them finding love it should last one season right? What has happened is the majority of the people are not happy with their lives and instead of being proactive to change it they are buying escape.

Thats what all of this stuff is a chance to escape, I mean I love my video games but I still like to go out. Now my favorite hang out buddy is hours away from me, but I will still pound some pavement every now and again. Thing is the places I used to like to hang out in, are steadily disappearing. In the last 5 years 2 malls have closed here in Memphis. Part of it of course is the fact that way spend gas Ebay, e commerce, e living here I is.

The family isn't dead, we just don't appreciate it like we used to. Everybody is so busy lieing about how they handling their own business if they acknowledge the people keeping them from falling, well can you really say I'm the man/woman if it's actually we're the family and we got our back? Just doesn't sound as sexy now does it

Anonymous said...

This is chilling. The scariest thing is,I don't see a solution. Where do we fit in anymore? How will our children deal with the fact that can't afford to keep them flashy and rich at young ages?
Quinn

BE Lauriette said...

@Kiwi: Girl, sometimes I have to catch myself with my spending. I'm not NO single chic you know...LOL But, yeah I'm feeling that having a family is way unpopular. Feeling lonely over here..LOL

@Tommy: You are so right on that. Because I see the way others speak about children and the possibilities of linking up. They speak down on it like to desire those things are second class or something. We gotta do betta. The marketers are just listening to the masses.

@Q: It's a pretty sad situation. I really have to control myself from running after the same distanced closed minded thinking with the do for ONLY self mentality. I guess we just have to be that much more stronger for our kids and families. Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

As the Budda Flows said...

girl good points and thats why i dont live beyong my means no more...i clearly explain to my kids that as they get older its get more expensive to care for them and living frivoulously is not in the books for us. Unfortunately the fathers are the fly and flashy type and contradict what i say. Great blog girly.

BE Lauriette said...

@Budda: We really can't live beyond our means. You never know what is around the corner. My kids understand that they can't have it all..now. That is the problem with these kids today...they want it all NOW. wait, I suffered from that too when I was little..hehehe My kids are not giving it to me now...LOL Thanks for reading and commenting.