8/15/2010

Loving on my .. Hair




The love for my hair was a complete and utter delayed reaction. Many years I covered it up with braids, wigs, and perms. Even though my hair looked very nice to the eye, I wasn't happy with it permed. After putting high lights in it years ago it's been down hill battle until I finally said no to the creamy crack. My natural hair journey has been long and hard. But, I don't regret giving up that drug. It never did agree with me. My step mother put a perm in my hair when I was 8 years old while I was visiting my father in Florida. She claimed my hair was hard to manage but I beg to differ. My hair has always been soft and curly. She just didn't want to be bothered with it. My mother was so pissed when she found out. From that day forward I was HOOKED! People don't understand. To put that chemical in a child's hair takes 10 minutes but to bring it back its natural state can take a lifetime. My hair is still not to same as it was before the initial perming. And it never will be. I still love what has been left from years of hair and scalp abuse.

Most times, I can't keep my hands out of it. Playing in my hair has become a beloved habit that I enjoy. I just love the fact that it's me and I'm finally embracing it. It's soft, curly, unruly and sexy. Kind of like me. :) I am my hair. LOL To walk out the door to a rainy day and not run for cover is a pleasure. Well, you know what they say. We do better once we know better. It took me forever to finally make the final decision to go natural and once I did it was final. The journey was an eye opener. I learned a lot about me. I've even given up the acrylic nails as well. I'm not sure how long I will stay away from it. Once I did the final chop it wasn't love at first sight. But, I'm learning to love my hair more and more every day. When I look into the mirror in the morning, I see me completely.



I couldn't leave this blog without encouraging others to take the same journey. You won't regret it.




Yeah, somebody needs to take my blackberry and all my cameras away. And that is okay, I will still have my fingers in my hair.

10 people feelin' some type of way:

ABoyd378 said...

*BIG GRIN*

No words, AJ. Just a Big and Silly Grin!!

BE Lauriette said...

Oh, you commented here. SWEET! Glad you didn't make fun of my video and slideshow overboard-ness..LMaO

VySYN said...

Heffa you are way overboard with this dayum natural hair ish...teehee I'm just playing!

I love that you have said nay-no to the creamy crack like I did yrs back...its hard..soo err you still got your wigs? I might need one for nxt month *wink*

BE Lauriette said...

@Chante: LMAOO..of course I still have those wigs. I might be taking them out again for the winter. It's just too damn hot for that now. I got a couple of them I don't use that are perfect for you. Thank you so much for reposting. Love you bunches.

Caprice Starbrite said...

I remember you asking and now look you! :) Beautiful in all the glory the creator has given you! Keep working baby! It looks good on you

BE Lauriette said...

@Caprice: I know right! It had to literally grow on me. Now I'm in love and thangs of that nature..LOL Thank you so much.

Quincy said...

I love ur natural look. Ur hair is beautiful any way u wear it. And keep all the cameras. We need as many pics as u can take. Dont see myself getting tired of lookin at u no time soon.

Thee_Kween said...

I'm proud of you. When we first became friends I begged you to come from behind the braids. Glad you did...in your own time. Now you're glorious...

BE Lauriette said...

@Quincy: Aww....I get tired of my face sometimes though..LOL My cameras shall stay PUT! Thanks so much for your kind words and always being supportive.

@Kiwi: Thanks sis. I was so not ready at that time. Now I can't cover it up for nothing. Love you!

As the Budda Flows said...

would love to go natural i have tried trust me but i love ur friggin hair girl and every way u rock it...keep inspiring us honey.