10/20/2010

10/20/10



I have so many views on the bullying that takes place on all levels. Bullying is rampant in the work place, schools, and like a facebook friend stated today, the government leads the way. Clearly I don't know exactly what needs to be done to bring this American "right of passage" thing to an end. When it comes to schools there are three things I am aware of .. 1) School officials are not being proactive; 2) parents are not taking responsibility for their bullying child; 3) parents against this behavior will have to stand up and band together. I have ideas.


The schools need to start taking more responsibility for these kids during school hours by providing neutral counselors that will listen to the kids and start the ball rolling for change. I do understand that counselors are in schools now but they need to have the proper training in order to pinpoint potential problems. If the budget does not call for this, parents will need to volunteer to not only be a listening ear but limbs to do the leg work. We can have money raising and resource collections in order to host karate, jujitsu and/or self defense classes. They need to be added to the curriculum. If they are going to carry on like the issue does not exact, they should at least provide an outlet that will allow them to attain the tools in order to fight back. The bully needs to be confronted with the people that they bully in a controlled environment so they can air out their feelings. Depending on the seriousness of offense, the child must be punished. Not thrown away, but punished. The more we lend the bully a silent response, the more they push on. Teachers need to be sent to conferences about bullying and how they can help by knowing their children's behavior patterns. Before any of this can be done or planned out, we must get the school officials to at least admit there is a problem. If not, we are on our own with these efforts.


Parents must.. MUST.. talk to their kids. Get in their business. Try not to react right away no matter what they bring to you. Just listen at first, let it sit for a minute and then move on from there. Show up at your kid's school unannounced to meet with teachers. Let them know you care about your kid's well being. Be aware of how your kids react around certain kids. Lastly, offer them hugs and kisses. I need to do better on this myself. Often times I'm so stressed out that I don't want to be bothered when I get home from work. This is no good. You never know what your kids have to endure all day. To those parents of the bully...get the kids some help if your love and attention is not enough. Sometimes kids need to talk to someone that is not so close to them. Do the same thing the parents of the bullied kids are doing to curb the depressed emotions they may be having.


Here is a video from Qaadir. You can find him on HERE on youtube. He really brings the message home.





Helpful links:

http://www.glaad.org/spiritday

http://gaylife.about.com/od/gayteens/a/gaysuicide.htm

http://stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/adults/default.aspx


5 people feelin' some type of way:

ABoyd378 said...

GREAT PSA!!!

Mahoganydymond™ said...

I myself wish that something will be done.. I hate to hear this and I hate that these kids are committing suicide. Thanks for posting...

BE Lauriette said...

Thanks Andrew!

@Mahogany: The kids are feeling hopeless. The schools are too busy pretending the problem doesn't exist and the parents are too busy working. A very sad situation. Thanks for reading.

The God'ess said...

I saw the video when you posted on fb. He came with the realness.

Bullying is done by punk ass people that have no other outlet. And it starts at home.

BE Lauriette said...

@The God'ess: I love how he breaks it down. Yep, they are punk asses. And they need a hug.