10/29/2010

I am Sofia...


We all know her story. When "The Color Purple" movie came out I was 10 years old. I can't remember if I read the book before or after the movie. I read the book though. But, the movie is branded on my heart strings. Every time I watch it, those key scenes pull at them making my eyes leak. This movie was so close to my heart that when people would talk about it in a joking way, I took offense. I still can't really joke about it much now. I take this movie very serious..straight to the heart. Sofia is a feisty, nurturing fighter. She's had a hard life growing up. Those events shaped her to be the woman that will take NO mess. I admire her spirit. To me, it's easy to go with the flow and allow people to walk all over you. But to stand up, stand your ground and be heard is not an easy thing to do. What I don't understand is why people usually try to stomp the fight out of people like Sofia. Why is she so threatening? She lives her life the best way she can. She works hard protecting her family. She takes no mess from the opposite sex. Harpo already knows that. The pattern I see in life is that people try to snuff out the spirit of her type. But why? She doesn't go looking for trouble. However, when it finds her she will let you know where you need to go with good reason. Aren't we suppose to protect ourselves physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually? Seems like people that speak up get the shaft constantly and the quiet people get the red carpet treatment.


With that being said, do you think there is a time when you have to put your inner fight to bed in order to survive? In the scene below..Ms. Minnie tells Sofia she wants her to be her maid while touching Sofia's kids all in the face. This is totally out of pocket. Do you think it was best for her kids in the long run to grin and bare it? Her kids had to be away from their mother for 8 years due to her actions of self defense. *smh* Sometimes I wonder if Sofia should have held it in. But again, why should she? Yes, this was a different time but it still happens today. If she turned the other cheek, what message would that send to her kids? She has to be able to lift up her head in order to discipline her own kids and here it is this man slaps her in the face like she is nothing!! Hell NO!




Should you sugar coat parts of your personality so the world won't come down on you or should we give this life everything we got until we can't fight back??


I am Sofia. They try to snuff the fight out of me at my job. My ex husband tries to snatch it from me. But, I keep fighting.. sometimes blindly. Should I just stop and pull back?? Just lie down?

3 people feelin' some type of way:

Mahoganydymond™ said...

There is always a place and time to put up your fight.. When a person tries to bring you down or belittle you.. You have every right..

I have to fight myself all the time.. I just know people can't handle it.. They just have to deal with it..

Keep you head up.. You have to keep yourself safe and sane...

Thee_Kween said...

I think that you have to fight for yourself, but every fight doesn't need to be fought. The best fight is not to react to your provocateur. To walk away and live to fight again. Sophia's fight took her out of the position to mother her children for 8 years. It's a matter of knowing when and which fight.

...and NO...you shouldn't lie down. FIght when it's right. Retreat to re-strategize...to rethink your position...but, never just "lie down".

As the Budda Flows said...

Stand and deliver sis....know when its worth it and when it's not. Your a soldier