
When I heard the news, it floored me. I couldn't believe this cute little boy could be locked up at Rikers Island Juvenile Facility. How was he holding up? Was he scared? His mother must be sick with worry. I know I would be. My son went with his father to go visit him, but were unable to gain entry due to a jail lock down. Apparently, some incident occurred and the correctional officers had to shut down the jail so visitors were not allowed. I know my son must be feeling bad for his bother in this situation. My mother told me that she was hoping he would get a chance to visit so he can get first hand experience what goes on in jail in hopes he won't find himself there as well.
Then I started to think about how hard things will be for this young black man with a criminal record if he were found guilty. This society can be unforgiving. It seems that no matter how remorseful you feel for your transgressions or how long you pay your debt to society, the repercussions of your actions can be unwavering. Then I had to catch myself. Here I am putting this young man in a category of the lost just like many categorized me as a teen mom. Yes, he could be in some trouble but it doesn't mean he can't rise above it and live a beautiful healthy life. We can never know how these things pane out. This may be the very thing to get him on track. Unfortunately, there are some of us that will choose to learn lessons the hard way over taking heed from the many examples around us. For some reason we believe.. "that can't happen to me". *putting my head down* Yes, I've uttered those words in my early teens.
To this young man and many out there struggling to find their way. I post this video. It's a beautiful song for many reasons. The poem at the end really drives the message home. Much like the picture above, obstacles may get in our way. We just have to devote more time and determination. Why do we write off others so easily? Even I'm guilty. *smh*
picture source: http://ireadbannedbooks.net/2008/04/16/obstacles-are-what-you-see-when-you-take-your-eyes-off-the-goal-ww-22/

7 people feelin' some type of way:
*Nodding and smiling*
Alot of lessons here. Good message overall. And the video is a nice touch as well.
As far as your Pisces son's Secretiveness goes, leave it be. We Pisces are Secretive by Nature. ;-)
@Andrew: *pinch* Stop that!!! lol
So many of our young men are falling into the traps that being set up for them. I pray that all goes well with him
@Danielle: Very true. I hope he pulls through.
You already know what I'm gonna say. This isn't the end, if he chooses right. Like you said, it can be the thing that gets him on track. You and your son are in a way...extended family. You support him, by supporting his brother's love for him and so on. Keep being an understanding mom...it will trickle down. ;)
@Kiwi: I will try to.. :)
I hope everything goes well for the young man...ill keep him in my prayers.
Post a Comment