
My daughter has been watching "Toy Story 3" ever since my mother bought her the dvd on the release date. The first time I took her to see it in the movie theater I cried at the sentimental moments at the ending. This movie is beautifully written and seamlessly executed. But today, a feeling came over me after I saw a disgusting display of extreme hate on a facebook like page. The page was created in remembrance of a girl that took her own life, Samantha Kelly. I was so stunned by the pictures posted poking fun at her death that I had to do a yahoo search to read about her. You can also learn about her as well, here. My heart is heavy. According to this story, Ms. Kelly accused a senior boy at her school of raping her and the seniors all got together and bullied her on his behalf. Shortly after she couldn't take it and then took her own life. I'm not here to debate if she was telling the truth. I'm here to speak on what the real punishment should be for bullies, yes even the ones with a sad background story. These students didn't even know if this boy did the crime or not. I'm appalled. So my thought process went a little deeper. While I watched the news report and read the articles about Samantha, "Toy Story 3" played in the background. Then the question popped into my head, "what are we teaching our kids about bullying?"
What are these movies telling us all about bullies? Adults as well as children love disney movies. So we are all subjected to their views and beliefs on how we should treat those that hurt us. These movies have an impact on our lives and we don't even know it. If you haven't watched this movie and you don't want this to be your introduction, please read this after you've watched the movie.
Andy is going away to college. He made a decision to take Woody along with him while leaving the others behind to hang out in the attic. The bag Andy wanted to go to the attic with his toys ended up on the trash pile by his mother's doing. She didn't know of his wishes. To make a long story short, they end up at a day care center where they are all used as target practice for two year olds. The kids had no idea how they should play with the toys. So the toys endured torture at the hands of two year olds. Woody got wind of it and tried to rescue his friends from this Lotso, the ring leader. Lotso is in charge of making sure the new toys get in the toddler room so he and his friends can be safe with the older kids. Before I get into my issue with Lotso's character and how the others relate to him, let's take a look at Lotso's sob story. We all have one, right?
Boo Hoo! Poor Lotso was left behind and then to add insult to injury, Daisy only replaced him. If you notice, Daisy left them ALL behind. He wasn't the only one left out there on the side of the road. Daisy only replaced Lotso because he was the one she cared for the most. It was the pride inside this Lotso that made him react in such an irrational way. So of course once they make their way to the day care, he takes out all of his anger on the new toys.
Like I said earlier, we all have a sob story. The story affects us all in different ways. No matter how disturbing or heart wrenching your sob story may be, that doesn't give you the right to lash out on other people that have NOTHING to do with your story. With this next scene I gasped the first time I saw it. There was one element in this garbage incinerator scene that didn't sit well with me. Woody found his way back to his friends. They concocted a plan to escape. The best way to get out was through the garbage chute. Of course, Lotso found out in the nick of time. While he tried to stop them, Woody used his story against him. In response Big Baby turned on Lotso. Take a look.
Justice!! Yes!! NOPE! They all (including Lotso) ended up in the garbage truck on their way to the dump. There Lotso got stuck under a golf bag and called out for help. Woody and Buzz went to save him from the rapidly approaching garbage shredder. O_O Hol up!! Hol up!! Hol up!! They did what?! Why does the bad guy have to be saved?? Why? Woody and Buzz along with the other toys should have left him where he was so he could get what he deserved. *sigh* Bullying is a serious thing. If anyone puts you in danger, they should be left for dead. I'm sorry. We need to react to this bullying with an iron fist. Here it is Woody and Buzz saved Lotso and the first opportunity he got he turned on them and left THEM for dead. Try that for irony. *smh*
The toys were saved. In some miraculous way the little alien dolls saved them. Guess what? In real life, if you ever think of befriending a bully or hateful person, there will be NO one to rescue you. That is not how the world works. If you have your bully right where you need it to conquer it, stump that bully OUT! Movies teach our kids to help those that mean them harm. This is the wrong message to send. If you see your bully getting the dog shit beat out of them literally by life, let it BE. In the end, Lotso got what he had coming to him right away. This is like the revenge pipe dream we all have at one point in our lives. Someone does us wrong and then in the next breath they get punished. Sorry, it almost never happens like that. As much as I'm fighting myself not to type this, the bully or anyone that does harm will eventually be punished in due time. We don't have control over how or when, but they will get theirs.
In conclusion, Samantha Kelly took her own life. The bullies she left behind to live another day are still here bullying. The best defense to this bullying is sticking it out here and whooping ass. Even if that bully represents the obstacles in your life. Stand your ground and beat that bully DOWN. Believe me, I'm not trying to be insensitive to the pain she was probably going through. This blog's message is more so for me. Even if you decide to check yourself out of this life, the bully will only change their target. Lucky you, for not being here to witness another person getting the beat down you were supposed to give that bully. Stick it out here folks. That is what I'm trying to do; claim the victory.
R.I.P. Samantha Kelly.


3 people feelin' some type of way:
Major!
As always, you are giving us a PSA to REALLY think about.
Nicely Done!!
Bravo my sister! I love the analogy and how you referenced bullying to not just being a "person" but any trial your going through in life...I haven't saw the movie or heard about Samantha Kelly but I'm interested and plan on reading up.
Wonderful read, sis...
You know what's REALLY upsetting? Is that we teach in extremes. We teach to either go HARD or go SOFT. We teach to receive or to gift. When on the phone with a friend last night, he said, "This isn't about me...this is about YOU" to which I replied, "No, it's never about just ME.". It's about an exchange. It's about a "happy medium". He's going through something just like I am. If we have a share of emotions, there's nothing wrong with that. That's the problem NOW with so many. Being strong when they don't have to be...the birth of a lot of bullying.
It's always either/or with a lot of people. Some bullies go hard enough to kill...some victims go hard enough to kill themselves. Yet, what about the scenario where the "victim" shows the bully compassion...not because he's soft, but because he's NOT LIKE THE BULLY! How much better does it make one to inflict pain to make pain go away? That makes no sense. Pain begets pain...until one heals themselves and heals others. It won't ALWAYS work, that's life...but, I'm never gonna be "counter character". I will stand up for myself...but, if I CAN...I'll pull that bully along on my path of healing. Defeat the PAIN not the person.
Just my opinion...lol
Post a Comment