
The Bronx represents my true independence, my grown and sexy living, along with my ability to initiate my survival tactics. I thought about writing this blog for weeks now. My hesitation comes from me often putting things out in the universe before I am absolutely certain of my intentions. I have to be careful with my ideas and outlooks because once I get strong (most times, unrealistic) areas in my head, I blindingly live by them with no logical reasoning.
Since 2005, I held on to the Bronx tight. We moved to the Bronx because my husband claimed he couldn't find a place for us in Harlem, even though he knew the only family I had up here resided in Harlem. I went along anyway because I wanted to get out of the bad living condition in my old place. My thought was that he must be ready to take care of me, because in the Bronx I had no one to help me. Our Bainbridge apartment was huge and filled with architectural richness just blocks away from Fordham. The rent was too damn high for me to wing it alone when the problems arose in our marriage. We were so close to Fordham University, that our landlord charged us rent like we were rich college students from the Hamptons or something. In 2006, we moved to University Avenue just blocks away from Bronx Community College. So yeah, the rent was up my alley.
I learned so many things about myself. One thing I learned is that I don't have the ability to smile through torturous emotional abuse. Basically, I didn't know how to hold my tongue. Marriage seems to be about dulling your spirit for your partner in this crime, without showing resentment. *smh* Side note: I have respect for people that are successful in this tight rope waltz. My mother once told me at the end of my marriage, "Joy, you can NEVER tell a man he doesn't respect his craft even if you know he doesn't." O_O huh? See that right there.. I can't do that. That statement opened up my eyes and my mother doesn't even know how much she revealed to me. Life doesn't coddle me, so I don't know how to do it to others.
I've grown to loathe the statement many of us throw around, "marriage is not for me". Personally, it's like I'm making an excuse for my inability to mesh with a partner in an intimate way while allowing him to see my (not so attractive) rebellious nature. Life has sucker punched me senseless and left me seeing stars that were so bright I couldn't see. Later, I realized that life is not the same for everyone and just because I feel most times I get the unwanted shaft; others are cruising with no bruising down the shaft to contentment.
My ideas are... grown ups should grow up to part from parents, period. Two heads of household should NOT dwell. If you have children, your parents should not have to suffer due to your responsibilities. The ghetto lives in your head. Surroundings don't completely define me. Choices don't determine my worth. Some of my theories are not untruths or unrealistic. Most times, my attitude towards them caused me to either make rash decisions or nest when I needed to move forward to the next lesson.
Well, now is the time I must move forward and claim my life, my name, and my peace. For months I gathered magazine clippings to create my vision board. This vision board will be pretty ways of displaying what I want for me, from me, and around me.
I'm done trying to prove my point, whatever that is. Time for me to go home. Bye Boogie down..gotta put you down.


8 people feelin' some type of way:
WOW, sis...this is without a doubt...a very poignant and personal summary of life in the Bronx. I pray that the next steps you take are toward a better life for you. You deserve it and more...if I had a wand, I'd wave a clear path for you.
Best Wishes as you bid Bronx adieu. Love you.
Wow, AJ!! You said a Mouthful! And this made me smile, because you saw and experienced a lot to where you discovered plenty about yourself and what you Truly Need.
I feel you 100% for NEEDING a Change in Scenery. I am confident that you will have the New Beginning that you are seeking.
*BIG HUGS*
"I learned so many things about myself. One thing I learned is that I don't have the ability to smile through torturous emotional abuse. Basically, I didn't know how to hold my tongue. Marriage seems to be about dulling your spirit for your partner in this crime, without showing resentment. *smh"
I could give a shout on this alone. Something happened last night and these words really put some things into perspective for me. I need to stop denying that I do this to keep things happy. Tired of holding my tongue even though I get accused of not doing so. If they only knew. Thank you Joy for posting your thoughts. I wish you well on your leaving the Bronx. S/N I love the idea of the board. I had one similar.
I so feel your evolution!! New opportunities and a new path is certainly in order and I say BRAVA for taking those steps to make a better you and get what YOU want!
I salute you for moving forward! Onward and upward! :)
Spread those wings butterfly...evolve kudos mama
I just love love love your vision board. Dream it to realize it sis.
@Kiwi: Thanks so much. I will miss our time here. Next year I will be making more stops to Peekskill. Be ready for me! Road TRIP! Love you!
@Andrew: (((((((HUG)))))) Thanks for hitting me up to check on me too. I really appreciate it.
Hey Mz Gee.. gon shout girl! :) First I would like to thank you for stopping by and following my blog. Can't wait to get your feedback on my shenanigans over here. I will make sure to follow you. Whatever you do don't deny your way, your style..only when you accept it are you able to tweak it. I can hold my tongue in certain situations but at home .. it's really hard because that is my comfort zone. So I gathered that I better not live with another man..LOL Thanks so much for reading and understanding my words.
@Caprice: Thanks so much! I will be stopping your way as well. I'm not done with the Bronx..I got too many peeps here I love too much. Love you!
@Budda: Girl I'm trying to soar.. Thanks so much for reading.
@Dai: Thanks so much. Got the idea from Ms. Shanel Cooper-Sykes .. it felt so good to lay it all down..I cried.
Try not to shed too many tears about this phase of your life. Since you're a writer, this transition should be nothing new to you. Just like finishing a chapter in a book you love, when you see the period, you simply turn the page.
Its an opportunity for a fresh start.
Now the fun begins.......
Post a Comment