
I planned to be all packed and moved in Harlem right now. One of the biggest snow storms this city has ever seen flooded our streets leaving me snowed in. I thought I would be on a moving truck making sure my precious books made it safe to my mother's house but ended up being a shoulder to soak up many tears due to a great loss. As I sit here thinking about this day, I'm amazed at what I've done. The man, who often disappointed me and my oldest son, cried like a baby on my shoulder today. His grief was so great he could hardly stand. I stood for him and allowed him to BE...and in that moment he needed to sob until his eyes hurt. His best friend/brother was taken away over a mistaken identity. We think we have control over our lives. We think we have it all planned out. We think our bodies are invincible. We think that special someone will always be around. We think but we know nothing. No one knows what is lurking around the corner. No one knows what life has planned for us tomorrow. No one knows the secret wonders of this world.
Today, I received the most beautiful compliment from my sister just when I thought I wasn't doing enough to provide comfort for my loved ones. Kiwi, I thank you. The title of this blog comes from the mouth of my dear friend who is like a mother to me, Liz. When things were going wrong and I was drowning from the mountain of obstacles with no sight of an ending, she would say to me, "Joy, the winds are always shifting." Meaning...nothing ever stays the same..we are in the midst of whirlwind changes everyday. All we can do is pray we can get through with some help from the man upstairs. He knows what the future holds. I guess it's time for me.. for us...to stop pretending we know much.
R.I.P. Maurice "Moe" Gibson
1 people feelin' some type of way:
SNAPS!!!
Post a Comment