11/24/2011

Hip Hop Legends



Last night I was so grateful to be in the presence of Hip Hop Greatness!!

First, let me say, we were hoping to see EPMD make an appearance. Black Rob was the last performance and it was already 3am. Yeah, we hip hoppers GO HARD! The host made the announcement that EPMD wasn't in the building. Eric Sermon has been suffering from a heart condition. I send up prayers and well wishes for him and his family. I hope he has a speedy recovery. EPMD was sorely missed.

When I arrived at B.B. King Blues Club the line was ridiculous. I was upset that I got there a little late, but at the same time proud to see old folks, like myself, waiting out in the cold to see classic hip hop grace the stage. Funkmaster Flex got that hip hop I.V. going..so to speak. We went down memory lane. I had to laugh when he asked us, if we ever bought a Kid Capri mixtape. The mix tapes back then were like a mobile walking party experience right in your walkman. Loved every minute of it! He played songs I hadn't heard in forever! Great moment.

Check out the line up and my commentary:

Black Sheep - (special appearance: Jarobi of A Tribe Called Quest)
I was a bit disappointed that the complete duo was not in attendance. Dres did the damn thang though. Has to be hard to be the first act. Plus, I think we were in shock to see this man standing before us looking like he has not aged one bit. Wow! Once again, black don't crack. He performed the favs as well as some new stuff. The building wasn't really feeling the new stuff, but I was happy to see he is still on fire for hip hop. Then Jarobi graced the stage. They are working on something together. The song "The Choice is Yours" is where it got crunk. You know, I got low for that.. "engine, engine number 9" part ... HEY!! I still have some strength in these knees. Much love!

Special Ed 
Before he even spit one rhyme, he wanted to a moment of silence for Heavy D. It took a minute for the crowd to get on board. I think that had everything to do with all the liquor on deck and not that the people in the building didn't respect Heavy's legacy. I thought it was cool how he asked the crowd if they even knew him (Special Ed) and then went right into "I....am the Magnificent". He did his classics and didn't miss a beat. Too cute! Would have been cool if he had some guys dancing behind him like the good old daysI missed those days. The dancers back then went HARD.


Black Moon
"ENTA DA STAGE" ... DJ Evil Dee got us all warmed up with old school hip hop joints from the 90's. I almost forgot about that Onyx joint...ooooweee!! "throw ya gunz" LIVE LIKE A WIRE!!!! The energy in the building started to rise! Most of that energy was coming from me. Because I was a HOT mess! I noticed that a lot of my old hip hop lovers couldn't hang long with the concert because they had too much to drink. The girls at my table were DRUNK! I enjoyed all the acts. BUT, if you really know me.. you know I loooooove Black Moon. I was so glad Buckshot and 5 ft was in the building. I really enjoyed their stage presence. Buckshot gave me that hardcore flow that I always loved. They performed "Who got Da props", "I got cha Opin", "How many MC's"....OMG!!!!!! "How many MC's" was my ringtone for years.


Ghostface Killah - (featuring what looked like 15 chambers O_O..lol)
This is when the energy went to a frequency that made me a little excited and scared at the same time. Before Ghostface Killah came out. The ladies that were sharing a table with me, left. So I was looking around a little shifty because dudes started to close in to get a closer look..lol I'm not even gonna front Ghostface Killah took...it...there. People started to get up on the chairs, dancing. I'm talking....the roof almost came off in there when he got on stage. It may have had something to do with him inviting every dude from his old block though. o_O It was TOO many mofos on that stage. I kept getting nervous..because guys were standing real close to the edge. Sheeesh! Yeah, I'm a mom. In my mind, I was like, 'GET BACK FROM THE EDGE YOU CRAZY MOFOS". Ghostface did some of his solo joints and of course he blessed us with some Wu Tang classics. My favorite part was when he invited two fans from the audience to do the Method Man and ODB part from "protect ya neck". HA! One guy bombed on Method Man's part...but the other dude that volunteered to spit ODB's part ....WENT IN!!!! Ghostface had to laugh, give him a pound and take a picture with him. That was so cool. Ghostface kind of forgot that other folk were there to grace the stage and went over his allotted time. The host had to roll up on him with ease..cause he wasn't crazy. Shoot! His WHOLE crew was there! The man looked so scared. But Ghost got off the stage quietly and with respect.


Black Rob
This man right here came after Ghostface Killah so yeah...he took it like a champ. And there was a lot of respect for him. He is all cleaned up and had some HOT new joints. I was so impressed. His lyrical flow was SICK!! I was like go head Black Rob. And of course he had to do "Like Whoa".. this song still gets many plays on my itunes today!


There was so much love throughout the concert for the ones we've lost...R.I.P.
Big L, Big Pun, ODB, Tupac, Biggie, Heavy D and so many more... 

4 people feelin' some type of way:

Primaldata said...

That's really the only thing I miss about being on the East Coast, they get all the concerts. I know Dres has still been working but man as much as I used to bump Black Sheep I would have been jumping up and down just like back in the day. As many great Ghost tracks as there are Ice Cream and Daytona 500 would have been the joints for me.

Real Hip hop, nah I never bought a kid capri mixtap but only because his ass rarely came down to south jersey. But I do remember how it was before everybody became big time with Hollyhood credentials.

I'm glad you had fun

BE Lauriette said...

Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Tommy! And I'm thankful for you. I need all the encouragement and a swift kicks up the ass sometimes.

And yeah, I would love to go back to 1990 .. so bad! I would hope on that time machine with no hesitation.

Love you!

As the Budda Flows said...

girl sounds like you had a ball,,, i was like you on Sweetest Day when i say all the old school R&b artist i sang every song and danced to all my jams. True blue fans is what hey call us

Thee_Kween said...

I know you had a ball! You're the most hip-hop headed mofo I know. LOL

Great commentary...I could feel the energy through your blog. You were hype! LOL