This is my last essay for my writing workshop class. An argument paper.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When do we take
responsibility for our wrong doings? When do we get the chance to take credit
for our accomplishments? The blame game is what we Americans love to play. And,
we don’t play fair. We are blamed for a child’s outcome before the child is
even born. I’m baffled that people willingly go through this process more than
once. I’m floored by my own decisions. Parents are such easy targets. We treat
them all like criminals. It can last a lifetime. We know there are some parents
that are abusers, but we shouldn't treat every parent the same.
Parent blame
starts before conception. We must keep ourselves healthy, pick the right
spouse, and read classic literature out loud to the swelling belly. We must
place the child on baby waiting lists with prominent baby schools. Once the
child is born, we must be at its service. Here I won’t disagree that an infant needs
around the clock attention, preferably from caring adults. You teach them to
watch out for the hard floor, to watch the cars as they cross the street, and not
to touch a hot stove.
We tend to forget
that while we are nurturing them by developing an enclave of love, earth is our
location. Billions of other people live here with us. These people have an
impact on our children no matter how much we shelter our little ones. Yet, when
something goes wrong, the parent gets the blame. It’s great when your child
performs well on this stage called life. I've been to plenty of graduations
where I've seen parents in tears over what they believe their love nurtured.
The children are influenced not only by the world directly, but also indirectly
through us. I would love to believe that each morning we put on this life
shielding armor that protects us from all that we see.
Influence does not
only come from living in a violent neighborhood. Influence can come from
watching people prosper from wrong doings in the corporate world. These stories
shape our thoughts, our dreams, and our focus. Our parents taught us never to
steal, but I see several stories a day where people are living glamorous lives
due to theft and corruption. We get our children through the elementary years,
and then the parent/child relationship crash happens in the teen years. Parents
take all types of blows to their parental involvement and skills during this
time. In my experience, this period will show you how strong your bond is with
your child. Many of us ruin the relationship by the time college comes around
and that far away college seems like the right remedy. Free will is granted to
us once we take our first breath from the womb, but we are taught that we must
not act on this will until it’s convenient for society. We have to learn early
on that our free will must be in alignment with the laws and rules of the world
we live.
I’m 37 years old,
and I still hear my peers blaming their parents for mistakes they supposedly
made in rearing them. When do we show up? When do we start owning these lives?
I don’t believe we should be blaming anyone or anything. We are humans that
have been given a life that we must make beautiful in the eyes that gaze upon
it. How are we expected to get it all right? Parents are humans. They did not
know their children and they are still getting to know their children in their
20’s, 30’s, 40’s and so on.
Many will say that
a parent not wanting to be blamed is an attempt to get out of responsibility for
their children’s actions. To this I will say, when do children start to take
ownership of the decisions they make, 18, 21, 25? When do we cut the umbilical
cord, detaching our lives from the lives of our parents? Some people will say
that we must be the spokesperson for kids because they are not able to reason
in adult ways. To this I have a story. This 13-year-old boy decides to skip
school to hang out and smoke weed with friends. When his parents confront him,
he denies it. His parents are baffled by his callous blatant refusal to be
truthful, so they drill him until he finally confesses. The parents take the
opportunity to ask him why. He responds by saying that “we only live once” and “I’m
only 13 years old so you have to take care of me.” He went on to say that, so
long as I’m not committing any crime or not getting locked up, it’s no big
deal. This child, according to this government, hasn't been taught correctly by
his parents. He won’t even know until he is of age, 18, that he has made some life
altering decisions. We want our children to be smart. But, they are using their
intelligence to manipulate and evade discipline.
This is a 13 year
old using society’s rules, the parent’s desperate job of getting him in order
and his own God given free will to manipulate this skewed system. Do we still
blame the parents in a situation like this where a child is making adult
decisions he stands behind? I've even heard children speak boastfully about
calling child protective services on their parents knowing that the claims were
false. Children know social workers will come into the home to interrogate the
very person trying to teach their children right from wrong.
Children are
listening to the reasoning of this world. Children are aware of the loopholes
of the system. What they are hearing is that parents are to blame for a child’s
bad behavior? For a parent to take credit for a child’s positive
accomplishments is just hypocrisy’s way of attempting to right this wrong. How
dare we not get these kids ready for the blame they will face when they
themselves become parents? Blame the one making the decisions. Blame the one
acting on their free will that opposes the laws, not the one trying to fix the
free will of their offspring that has gone haywire.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't remember where I got this pic. Just know, it's not mine.
I can't remember where I got this pic. Just know, it's not mine.


4 people feelin' some type of way:
NICE, sis. I dig this. You know I agree so, yea. lol
Great Essay!!!
I totally agree with you, Kiandra. Every person should be responsible enough for their acts and their decisions in life. Blame shifting is never a mature way of handling things. No matter who our parents are, we have all the time in the world to make the right choices and live better lives.
who is Kiandra?
Post a Comment