3/04/2013

The Flutist


#3 - A Day in Middle School

I'm sitting here trying to think of a day. Well, in middle school I joined the school band. My father bought me a flute years before. He encouraged me to learn how to play. He played the trombone and wanted me to learn to play an instrument as well. When I was younger my mother got me piano lessons, but I never did take to it. When it came to the flute, it was second nature. Middle school was all about the band for me. I was even on the honor roll a few times. 

My band director was everything I loved about middle school. He was so cool. He believed in us. He pushed us to be great. I just loved being in our music room, practicing. I remember spending most of my free moments there. I worked so hard to be the head of my flute section.

The picture above was taken with my band director, Mr. Buford, after a performance. I miss him so much. 


Correction:  Our school football field was right behind the school, we would practice there for hours for the upcoming games. And, that Alabama sun was no joke. 

Chile, that was high school. Y'all know I'm old right?! LOL Everything else I wrote is legit for middle school.



8 people feelin' some type of way:

Thee_Kween said...

Aww, you look so proud. Can you still play the flute?

No Labels said...

That is one thing I wish I would have done, joined the band. At our school we had to rent the instrument or buy the instrument, and my grandparents couldn't drum up the money. The band director pictured the trombone being a good fit for me.

Maybe that's why I was always a bigger fan of the band than I was any of the athletic teams...lol

I, too, wonder if you can still play!

The God'ess said...

I played the flute for a year in elementary school. No lie...I wanted to play the trumpet but my instructor said I didn't have the top lip for it???

It's funny what these challenges make you remember.

BE Lauriette said...

@Kiwi, yep I can still play it. Once I pick it up, the notes come back to me. So weird. I haven't played it in years.

@Monica, yep, I can still play. Probably not as well because I haven't played in years. They had a rental system at my middle school and high school. I just happen to have my own.

@Maria..cool beans! my band director said I just play clarinet, but that wasn't my thing. My dad wanted me to play flute, so dad trumps band director..lol

Mahoganydymond™ said...

Get it Joy!! I can tell that was a happy point in your life...

ABoyd378 said...

Awesome!!! :-D

BE Lauriette said...

@Tracy: I loved it. :)

@Andrew: ;)

Reggie said...

That Alabama sun was no joke.