11/06/2009

Disrespect in Comparisons: Respect Series Part 3



Some weeks ago I got into a heated discussion about how we tend to compare gifts stemming from very different vessels. Before I get into the meat of that discussion, hear me out on a few things. Q-Tip's album "The Renaissance" gets much play in my ipod on a weekly basis. I love everything on there. His album was set to be released on election day 2008. When I listen to it, I'm reminded of the hope and change that was sweeping the world during the Obama campaign. There was this feeling of unity as if for once the majority seemed to be in one accord. Good times. The environment always impacts any album, project or compilation release. Every time I hear "So Amazing" by Luther Vandross I think of traveling with my father from Selma to Florida. No matter how many times I listen to his "Give me the reason" album, I think of laying in the back of his van while taking in the southern scenery. Just think of songs that immediately bring up certain images in your mind even after you have forgotten the incident. That is how special music is to our psyche. It's like a mental musical branding of your mind.


A couple of weeks ago Q-Tip released the video from "The Renaissance" album, "Life is Better". I listened to this song on repeat for weeks. I can't say the video was disappointing, but the comments concerning the featured artist, "Norah Jones" disturbed me. The youtubers were comparing Norah Jones' singing style to Erykah Badu. This right here almost took me out. How DARE anyone compare Ms. Badu to ANYONE. She is unique and her music speaks volumes to me. And what about Ms. Norah Jones? Oh, because her voice sounds similar she should just pack it up. Don't get me wrong. Flattering comparisons can be made. For example, Keyshia Cole does not sound like Mary J. Blige but her spirit, soul and passion I feel in her music is somewhat like with Mary's music. In this example, I'm giving both of these artists props on their own musical level. Look at the contribution R. Kelly made to this music world. When R. Kelly came on the scene with Public Announcement, everyone would diss him because he used to sound a lot like Aaron Hall from"Guy". CRAZY!!! Even back then I knew R. Kelly was blessed with something that was so powerful and all his own. Why do we as people feel the need to categorize everything? Aaron Hall had his style and R. Kelly had his. If R. Kelly would have listened to the critics concerning his musical gift, we would have never been blessed with his beautiful creations. Should we encourage artists that happen to share similarities with other artists to manufacture some bullshit because we can't dig deep enough to see their unique take on music?


We don't only make disrespectful comparisons with music, but we do this in relationships too. I really try hard to deal with folk on a case by case basis. I would be lying if I said this is a easy thing to do. Once someone shows you one thing that reminds you of someone else, we sometimes unknowingly place them in the same category. For example, it infuriates me when some men compare my crazy to another chic's crazy. Listen, YES, she is crazy and I'm crazy..but dammit I got that ill na na crazy... you betta recognize baby...LOL


People let us all try to accept everyone for all they have to offer. Let's not place them in a box before we even allow them to open up.



3 people feelin' some type of way:

Thee_Kween said...

*applauding loudly*

I SO agree. 1st that music is environmentally inspired. I listen to "Never Too Far" by Mariah and remember Aaliyah's death (as well as Jay-Z's "H to the Izzo") I have memories with music...that's how it lives in you.

2ndly, I also agree that comparisons can be myopic in that you're only seeing or hearing surface similarities. Ms Badu is COMPLETELY different in delivery and style to Norah Jones. I mean, we all get influenced by those who we admire or come along a road with. People said Jazmine Sullivan sounded like Lauryn, but she's proven to stand on her own flavor.

I love this post, sis...let it ALL out!

BE Lauriette said...

Thanks Kiwi!! You have no idea how it pisses me off when folk make those belittling comparisons. They always diminish the person's gift. Thanks so much for commenting. I live for them.. :)

As the Budda Flows said...

love it girl! we are made with similarities but we are all unique and buddaful in our own way.