11/27/2009

Logic vs. Emotion



My mother is a serious Star Trek fan. I tease her all the time because of her fellow fan friends. They call them Trekkies. Now she will tell you that she is not that fanatical and I do believe that. However, she is a die hard fan. No, she is not dressing up like Klingons. But, I've seen her throw up that "V" symbol from time to time..LOL





I was never able to grasp the ideas of these movies and tv series. There was something about it I just couldn't get...until yesterday. Of course when I walked into her door for Thanksgiving dinner she suggested I check out the Star Trek 2009 movie while I waited for her to warm up the food. I agreed. As the movie played on I took interest in the Spock character. His mother is human and his father is a Vulcan. My mother helped me understand the conflict Spock had with his father Ambassador Sarek. Even though his father had a child with his mother, he was able to suppress all emotions concerning that. In turn, this made Spock feel like he had to prove himself worthy to his Vulcan side because the emotional traits from his human mother dwell within him. Vulcans apply logic to everything they do. They even go as far as performing rituals to suppress that same thing that I believe plagues me....emotion.



On the other hand, the villains they call Romulans were so blinded by the mission and/or the anger that they seemed so ignorant. I guess Romulans would be the exact opposite of Vulcans. One is full of emotion and the other full of only logic. There was no reasoning with the Romulans. They remind me of someone. This person feels like he is so smart but he is blinded by his anger and always come out looking ignorant in the end. We all know that emotions and feelings waver. Now given my current circumstances I envied the qualities of the Vulcans. They are able to apply logic to everything and not let emotion get in their way. With emotion comes hurt feelings and other times anger. Within these we most times lose focus on the mission, and are not able to pinpoint when to pull back or to draw closer. Then I started to wonder. What would it be like to only see life logically?! Putting aside all the emotions and everything that comes along with that...will this make us a better people? Is that the answer to our problems? How do you get control of it..emotions?



This is my life mission...to find out how to suppress emotions and apply logic to my life. I'm hurt by everything. I feel everything and this is draining.

4 people feelin' some type of way:

As the Budda Flows said...

Crazy thing is Joy its a gift and a curse for us ladies...i take so much personal in my life that it causes rifts in relationships i have with fam friends and present and past loves in my life... i do feel where ur coming from and i hope u find the answer your looking for.

Primaldata said...

Actually in the 2009 movie the villians were the Romulans, but they prove your point even more.

Romulans and Vulcans come from the same protospecies, the difference is vulcans suppress all feeling romulans embrace and are ruled by their feelings. So all the destruction caused in the 2009 movie was based on someone not accepting that someone tried their best and it still wasn't good enough.

Suppressing ones feelings as spock learned in the first movie isn't always the answer sometimes just learning how to properly deal with them is better. Because sometimes pent up emotion causes ones vision to be more clouded then raw anger.

And by the ahem special features of the movie they are called Trekkers not trekkies(don't ask me when they decided to go ahead and choose their own name but it was trekkies for like 30 years)

Thee_Kween said...

I agree with Tommy *gasping* LOL

Emotions that are suppressed tend to become volcano-like and you blow at the wrong time destroying so much in the process. Dealing with your emotions and learning to take yourself out of things and learning not to personalize everything...is better.

the.kisser said...

i agree with tommy and kween, we need emotions, but we also need to learn how to control it. logic and emotion can work together, when it's coming from a place of strength and faith.

.kisses.