12/26/2009

Mini Me...



My daughter has never been into dolls as much as she is now. While playing with her dolls today, my daughter gave me life. She was just enjoying herself today applying makeup to her Moxie doll she got for Christmas and every so often putting makeup on herself. Now I know why some parents push their kids. They may see a glimmer of interest in their kid's eyes for their dreams that never came to pass. Hope is not completely lost for me to fulfill my dream, and my baby girl helped me get my mind back on track to making my dreams a reality.


Our kids love to imitate us. Some of them find their true calling from watching mom and dad follow their dreams. Sometimes I doubt if my kids learn meaningful lessons from me. I know I learn so much from them and all the surrounding situations. We parents have to be careful not to get carried away and in turn choking the innocent interest and making them resentful of it. You've seen firsthand parents on the sidelines screaming at their kids; saying they need to do better in a not so encouraging way. We must keep the balance by providing healthy encouragement while allowing them to flourish at their own pace. Once you see them put it down in order to pick up another hobby, even for a minute, we must not push it down their throats. Allow them the growing space to make their way back to the love, if they want it. With this we must understand that they may never find that love again and that is quite alright. My youngest son's father almost killed his love for basketball by being overbearing and controlling. He started to slack off and would try to hide his practices and key games from him. When I would ask him why he didn't want his father there, he would imitate how angry he would get by how he yells at him. Due to his strong character, my son didn't walk away completely. He still plays basketball in little community tournaments. On the other hand, I think my oldest son's father killed his basketball dream. He hardly ever plays now, even for pure recreation. Children take after the parents for several reasons. The one we need to avoid is the one where they follow in your footsteps solely for your acceptance. My oldest wanted his father's attention desperately, but it wasn't worth his sanity. In turn, he walked away from it.


Now it's my turn. I allow my daughter to play in makeup if she wants and not force her for any reason. She watches me apply it to myself. But, I try not to let her see me in it every single day. I took notice of her saying things like. "she needs make up". When I asked her why, she said she wanted to be beautiful. After that, I didn't wear any makeup or let her see me apply it for a while. I drilled in her head that she was beautiful just the way she is, and I did this daily. Due to how makeup makes me feel good, she equated that to mean that I don't see myself as beautiful without it. I don't want her to get this idea. For me makeup enhances the beauty already there and/or brings those special features you like to the forefront. I take hiatuses from the makeup to show her that I'm not dependent on it.



Bottom Line: I think it would be so cool if she goes into the things of fashion and makeup artistry. I would be tickled by it and flattered at the same time. Because I know that I introduced her to the arts. And I hope I don't get carried away with trying to live my dreams through her and push her away in the process.



4 people feelin' some type of way:

Primaldata said...

The difference between you and other parents is simple you aren't trying to relive your "lost life" through your children, or turn them into your retirement plan. I find it sad people who do that because they potentially ruin a great relationship by chasing the dollars associated with the dream and not the joy that goes along with wanting to live the dream.

Great blog and glad she is enjoying and exploring in a healthy manner

Thee_Kween said...

That is so sweet...I do believe that it's a good thing for her to be learning a little of what makes you tick...figuring out who mommy is. I love that she's also making you feel brighter and more loved, so to speak...while your nurturing her interest in your interests. You've got the right idea, sis...and I'm proud of you.

I always admired your patience with your kids. (((hugs)))

Divaprocessor said...

Keep doing what you are doing your right we will never know what they may choose to go in the future..Your way or ours...just enjoy the moment in the NOW where it is OUR way..Lord knows I wish I could get those moments back with my daughter but I do have the memories...all I can do now is sit back and wait..watch..and get ready for whatever is to come of her...Ad hope my teaching has done her some good

the.kisser said...

most parents haven't reached that point yet, to see things as you do, and the fact that you do, makes your children better off for it. your daughter is absoulutely beautiful, and for sure keep doing what you are doing, and they will thank you regardless.

.kisses.