2/23/2010

Window Seat




A window seat to me is simply a front row seat with no interferences from internal elements getting in the way of your outward view. The seat is usually inside among others with an unwavering view of the outside. When I first heard this song by Erykah Badu, I thought she was speaking about the type of window seat displayed above. However, she is speaking about taking a window seat on a plane, away from everyone so she can travel to another place. But, when you think about it, they both serve the same purpose. Yes, in her window seat she may find herself in another destination physically. But, with the window seat above many worlds can be traveled just the same through imagination and meditation. Whenever I think about having my own home, all I can think of is having my very own window seat. I'm not thinking of big screen tvs or extravagate exercise equipment, but I long for those vehicles that will allow me the mental and physical space to soar across the world. I yearn for those things that are set aside for me and only me. No one else is allowed to seat in the space I occupy. Funny thing is, I feel the same way about lazy boy chairs. Although, they are not very pretty but the purpose they serve and the comfort they bring exceeds its outward appearance. My window seat envy is like a man's need for the basement space to play with his toys with no interruptions.



Sometimes I think living in the city makes me crave belongings that only I can enjoy. Here in New York, people are on top of people and many have no respect for your personal space. Living in small apartments cramped makes it very hard to attain a beautiful view. Even the best views the rich splurge on here in New York is crap compared to my hometown's scenery. Even when traveling in a car long distance, I lose myself in the moving pictures outside the window. Just thinking of the life others may be living and wondering if I will ever be able to experience such marvels of the world. This is when I miss down south. I remember peeking out the window at the cows and farms along my travels as a child. More than ever with the stress of my life, I need a front row seat to visualize the possibilities. Just to be able to sit for hours daydreaming, dozing off and then waking to the outside world looking at me; that would be so comforting.



You can keep your fancy cars, designer clothes, expensive vacation homes, big screen tvs...I just want a window seat made just for me. Maybe I can create a makeshift window seat in my fantasies. The seat IS simply the vehicle; your mind is the fuel needed to cause lift off...



MusicPlaylist

2 people feelin' some type of way:

Thee_Kween said...

I love window seats...I made one in my room b/c I love what they represent...dreaming, alone time, mediation. Nice play on the term. It is indeed either a front row seat to an event...or perhaps a front row seat to your own space and contentment. Love it!

BE Lauriette said...

Yes girl..might have to make me one in my room. I love them! And I envy anyone that has one. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. :)