6/08/2010

Out My Mind, Just In Time



In 2008, I had the pleasure of seeing Ms. Badu in concert for the first time. And I was "Out My Mind, Just In Time". I'm sure some of you are wondering why I love Erykah and her work so much.



I have a serious appreciation for people that are able to practice their craft without apologizing or putting on masks for the world. I love fashion and nice images just like the next person. But, Erykah has always been refreshing to me. She gives her very heart, views and beliefs in her music. It's almost like she is sharing her very self with us. This can be both a blessing and a curse. Anyone that can share themselves and stand under the judgmental attacks is pretty commendable in my book. I didn't really know a lot about her personal story at first because I was wrapped UP in her music allowing it to run through me. Once I did some research, we share some similarities but are so different at the same time. I don't always understand the things she says or does. But, guess what? It's Erykah. Such a beautiful bright light in this world of phonies and disguised do-good-ers. I can't relate. I need that genuine energy. I'm sure many would say, Erykah doesn't give a fuck about me and I don't know her. And maybe that is true. But, the impact her music and spirit has on my life is tremendous.



I live in a chaotic environment. Putting on any of her cds instantly calms me. She gives me what I need. Seeing her again this past Monday was surreal in many ways. I could feel the room didn't get her or understand her approach. I relished in how I DID. I get her. And it's ok, if every one didn't walk away with the same experience. How boring that would have been?! She gave us so much of herself without even breaking a SWEAT. It's not about the outward appearance of WORK it's about how someone moves your spirit. When she performed "Me", you have no idea what it did for me. She acknowledges her faults and says, "you know what that's me". Now, surprisingly I don't like the way people can take this approach and use it to be assholes or uncaring. I will speak on that later on in another blog.



Oh, and Janelle Monae is adorable and energetic. That was my first time seeing her or hearing her music. It was REALLY a pleasure to get the experience LIVE. Because people she is LIVE. Questlove gave us an in depth hip hop lesson on the ones and twos to warm us up. We paid homage ...for REAL!!!



Through the stinky underarms of others, hurting feet, tall people towering, and misunderstandings, I was still able to leave with a little bit of clarity...peace. Being able to get what you need from an experience without allowing others to hinder it can seem cold but I see it as focused dedication..lol You only live once and you have to make the best of your presents. I will attempt to list the set, but you guys have to know I was in a ZONE...LOL


Not in order:
-20 Feet Tall
-Out My Mind, Just In Time (in its entirety...POWERFUL!!!)
-On and On (remix)
-Didn't Cha know
-Fall in Love :)
-The Healer
-Me :)
-Umm Hmm... ;)
-Soldier
-Otherside of the Game
-Bag Lady (she literally came out and touched the crowd)
-I want you ...wooohooo!
-Apple Tree
-Love of my Life (in such a unique way, adding other songs...wow!)
-She did a WHOLE old school hip hop set...she redid many legends' work..so much fun
-and more...I will update this list when they come to me....forgive me :)

4 people feelin' some type of way:

As the Budda Flows said...

Sounds like u really enjoyed her she never come to Cleveland so I have yet to see her live but from reading ur thoughts id drive wherever to have that experience

BE Lauriette said...

@Budda: I had a ball. If Erykah is in the room, I'm good. I hope you get the chance to see her live. It's an experience. :)

Primaldata said...

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself the last concert I saw was a natalie cole one that me and the wife walked in on way back in like 04 at a casino. It was great you could kinda feel the energy she was putting into the room. It was a small crowd, really intimate yet she performed like it was the biggest stage in the world.

Artists like that are so rare now adays. Giving you a part of their spirit that reaches you regardless of crowd size that moves you just the way you need to be moved. We don't get a lot of good concerts down here in memphis so I rarely go to any, but I think when I get to atlanta I might try to check a few out.

would have loved to see bag lady and on and on live. I'm sure it was magical

Glowing Soul said...

This post was a joy to read. please read or follow mine