2/16/2011

Truth Day 12: revenge of the nerds




12: something I never get compliments on


I grew up down south during the 'light skin is better than dark skin' phase. This bothered me because I am dark skinned. Plus when I was down south I was two shades darker. So basically, my skin wasn't IN. So I didn't get a lot of compliments when I was there. But, I made up for it when I got up here in New York, August of 1990. But, the compliments I rarely get are...


you are so smart
wow, you are intelligent
I love the way your mind works.
damn, that was a big word..what the heck does that mean?
you got straight A's AGAIN??
are those gifted classes as fun as those classes we have to attend in the general population?


and so on...

Yes, I wanted to be a nerd. But, not just look the part but BE the part. There was a certain level of respect the smart people received in school and I wanted some of it. Even back then I knew looks can only get you but so far. I understand now that the reason why a lot of the kids in school were put on pedestals was because of their parent's influence. One thing does remain no matter how much money your parents have, nerds have the brains and they innovate, motivate and create change. People with intelligence get respect and they are not taken for a joke. People listen to their voice, their views and beliefs. Sometimes students would make fun of the nerds in my school but I always looked up to them. Today, we all can see the joke was on them because the nerds finally got their revenge.


I'm working on my smarts; trying to bring it up to the level it should be at this point in my life. While in school when I was younger I didn't take the learning process seriously. But, this time around I'm trying to bring the wrath of a nerd's revenge.

5 people feelin' some type of way:

Brother Oddi-C said...

Get your brain on. Your intelligence always leaves me smiling

BE Lauriette said...

@Brother Oddi-C: you just made me smile :)

Thee_Kween said...

Girl BOOM!! Are you crazy? You're VERY intelligent. The hell outta here.

Are you Calculus, Quantum Physics, Rocket Scientist, walking Dictionary smart? No...but you're, left field thinking, abstract perception, common sense, light bulb in the dark smart. There are all kinds of levels of smart and you rank my sista. I love your way of thinking, your way of expression and your ability to catch yourself in the middle of a lesson. GIRL...BOOM! ::pops you in the fo' head::

BE Lauriette said...

LOL...I knew you were going to 'girl..boom' ME.. I love it! I'm so glad you can see intelligence in me. Love you, sis!

Mahoganydymond™ said...

Well too me the DARKER is always been beautiful to me... I have people who picks on me about it... Yea the south sucks when it comes to color STILL...

I think you are a smart nerd... So hey... A smart mind is a BEAUTIFUL thing...