18: my views on gay marriage
Disclaimer: Wait, can I have a disclaimer with the truth... well, what I am not going to do on this blog is get into a debate about how YOU or I should view homosexuality.. this blog is about my views on gay marriage.
My views on marriage, at this time in my life, are not so pretty. But, I understand the concept and the reasoning. Marriages used to be more like a business transaction back before recorded history. But, today it's more romanticized. What I don't understand about this strong desire for homosexuals to get married is that their union has been accepted to be an alternative. This only means that they have chosen a different life style. They bask in the fact that they are different. And I applaud anyone standing up for being different or going against the grain. The confusion for me on this topic comes from their need to be accepted by people that don't share their belief. They want the 'man' to accept their union. But, the man HAS by way of granting them domestic partnership rights. Right now, in the state of New York, you can have a domestic partner and this partner is given every benefit as if it were your wife/husband. SO.. they are already accepted by society. Benefits are already awarded and yes, if something happens to your partner YOU have a right to voice your concerns in how they are treated medically. So why the need for marriage? Marriage represents a union that is not rooted in same sex unity.
Why not blaze your own path of showing your union? Why go along with a tradition that was not created for a same sex couple? Create your own traditions. For me, I would rather do my own thing. It's almost like you are saying...we are different.. accept us. The state is showing that they are accepting the life style by granting you domestic partnership rights. But, this wasn't good enough. See, if you want to have any type of ceremony you like..that is your right but to force a government, a society, a people to hand over their marriage union and what it means for them to make you feel FINALLY accepted..that is what I don't agree with.
I don't understand the need to go along with the masses concerning marriage but not with who you choose to marry. Maybe homosexuality is not a choice, maybe it is...but one thing is for sure... marriage is a choice..plain and simple.


3 people feelin' some type of way:
Wow, I have to tell you that I do appreciate the unique perspective. "We're different...accept us". Absolutely true. It's like saying I don't follow and then ask, "Where are we going?" I totally get it.
Nice, truth sis!
I have always felt that if the union of the two people was so apart from tradition, why insist on traditional marriage. Then, I came to understand that for many legal reasons, the partner is left out. Even when it comes to end of life decisions, the family steps in legally, not the partner. On the one hand I get it, on the other hand, I don't.
Great post!!!
@Kiwi: That is what confuses me about it all. Thanks so much for understanding. I got in a little trouble with this one. But, I kept it real to how I see it.
@Miss Honey: I'm there with you.. I get it but I don't get it. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. :) Nice to see you.
Post a Comment