2/27/2011

Truth Day 23: Keep it tight, aight!



23: Something I wish I had done in my life


These two questions can really go either way.. something I wish I had done in my life.. something I wish I hadn't done in my life. Weird. Well, today I'm discussing what I wish I had done in my life and that is I wish I had kept my weight off. Back in the 90's I took my health and my weight seriously; I was borderline obsessed even.  During the time of this pic above I didn't eat meat, I worked out two times a day and drank water like it was healing potion. Somewhere between kids, stress, depression and laziness I ended up gaining over 80 pounds..life has a tendency to do that to us. If we don't stay on top of these things, important aspects of our lives can be thrown to the wayside in an attempt to make room for others and more responsibilities. 


I know I can do it again, but I'm older with a lot of life distractions. I just wish I had kept it tight. The amount of weight I need to lose right now wouldn't be so overwhelming. Due to being diagnosed with diverticulitis in 2009, I have no choice but to change my eating habits. Even though my health is on the line, giving up fried foods, soda, snicker bars, basically whatever I want to eat is sooo hard. Briefly, I tried changing my life style choices but I couldn't stay committed. A couple of weeks ago I checked my BMI (body mass index)..and I'm considered obese. Seeing the numbers right there clear as day bothered me. More importantly, I feel big, I feel tired, I feel like I'm dragging around another person on my back. 


I hate over thinking what I put in my mouth.. you know, counting calories and reading the labels on food packages to see what is in them. Back then I had outside influences encouraging me to change my appearance, you know, like, graduation, weddings and such. It really helps to have a reason to lose the weight, like deadlines. Giving up bacon cheeseburgers is like HARDER than giving up surfing the internet. Bad, I know. I will do it. I will get my weight together. I've created some goals for myself. I have to stop crying over spilled milk and move on from here. This year I want to start working out and I want to lose 50 pounds for starters. Once I achieve that goal, I will try for 30 pounds more. I'm sure you are wondering..so here it goes..I was 140-150 pounds in that pic above. Can't believe I said that.. oh well, yeah...I'm big yo.


3 people feelin' some type of way:

Anonymous said...

The first step is looking at it just the way it is. You cannot compare to what has been, just set the goal of where you are going based on where you are. You have my complete support. You are not alone!!!

As the Budda Flows said...

BE im with you and soon as i put this treadmill together this evening its on and popping i gotta lose 40lbs per my doctore and damnit i will and you will too.

Primaldata said...

The biggest trap for most people is that they are trying to lose weight. Go to denver if you want to lose weight, won't have done a thing but since you are higher up from sea level you lose a few pounds.

Let your clothes be your guide you want to lose MASS, as the inches come off sometimes the scale doesn't keep up. Your pants will feel looser, your bra won't be as snug, and shirts will billow out a little bit, but that damn scale it will be telling a different story. Ignore the scale respect the clothes. Another thing as you work out you start building up muscle, muscle weighs more than fat, thus as you start burning all those calories sometimes your weight evens out you are burning fat but because you are gaining muscle the scale doesn't drop just yet.

My goal is still 245, thats what I weighed when I graduated high schoolit's only 40 pounds but with my work schedule the opportunities to eat fried food more than healthy on the road it ain easy. Oh and Belly fat is notoriously stubborn but arms, face, hips and thighs are not(as you noticed my much slimmer face the other day)