3/12/2013

A Rainy Autumn Day

#11- a daydream you have often


A rainy day in Harlem is not a day for us to stay locked in trying to stay dry. Plus, Autumn loves the rain. I'm sure to get some writing done at my mother's restaurant. My brother has been acting vert suspicious these last couple of days. He watches my every move from behind the counter like he is searching my mind. He hates working at the restaurant. I found it strange that he is all generous with his time especially on a rainy day, like today. I really wish he wouldn't worry about Autumn and I. I don't need help or money from her father. My writing sustains us. Her father made it perfectly clear that he didn't want to have anything to do with our daughter.  I hope she forgives him for rejecting her existence. 

Autumn is my partner. Wherever I go, she goes. Sure. One day she will have questions, but for now this is our time. Answers will surface another day. I'm not gonna lie. I'm so ashamed that I've found myself in this situation. But, look at her. She is so beautiful, chubby, caramel brown, with eyes that changes with the lighting of the atmosphere. At only 6 months she is already showing me how much she misses her daddy, even though she has never met him. The resemblance is undeniable with one glance.

We set up shop in our regular nook. The corner booth in the far end of the restaurant is always labeled reserved. This is our spot. Something about being among others that gives my fingers room to dance across my keyboard. While at home, the mundane every day thoughts are louder than the story needing my attention. At my mother's spot, the busy part of my mind is working to drown out the background noise. This allows my storytelling to take center stage. Plus, Autumn is always so calmer in noisy environments. I never did understand that. Well, I lie. I know that her father is most at home in noisy sport arenas, restaurants included. Food is his joy. How does she know that? Is she looking for him?

My brother serves me my favorite vanilla flavored coffee, while Autumn sleeps, only waking to look around briefly. Her eyes barely open to survey the area. This is our second home. Then we have lift off. My story begins to take form gradually lifting into full flight. Next thing you know I'm soaring just allowing my fingers to navigate the skys of plot, drama, and dialogue. I love reaching this altitude. I finished my first book while keeping up this same speed. 

I stop to glance over at my little angel sleeping in her carrier and I thank her for being so understanding of her mother's work. I feel my fingers cramping from typing so fast, so hard. My brother comes over to check on us and I tell him without even looking up from my laptop, "We are good. I don't need another cup of coffee. I will holla at you when I'm ready." I hear silence as the response. A voice finally breaks the silence through the clanging plates and faint random conversations. "Can I hold her?" I look up to find Jesse standing right there gazing down at Autumn with pride. Immediately, I glare over at my brother who is ducking behind the kitchen door.



5 people feelin' some type of way:

Thee_Kween said...

*giggling*

BE Lauriette said...

LOL

No Labels said...

smiling...I was wondering when he was going to show up...lol

BE Lauriette said...

lol..I takes time my dear. ;)

ABoyd378 said...

*nodding* :-)